Home / I Luoghi della Grande Guerra /Program 2018
"The Patriarch returns"
Historical re-enactment of the entry of Patriarch Marquardo von Randeck, which took place in Cividale del Friuli in 1366
Saturday 6 January 2018
Solemn Mass, called "of the Spadone" in the Basilica of Santa Maria Assunta (Duomo).
to follow 11.30 am
Historical reenactment in costume of the entry of Patriarch Marquardo von Randeck occurred in Cividale del Friuli in 1366
The historical procession
The Community of Cividale is preparing to welcome the Patriarch marching in a procession from the historic Porta di Ponte, continuing along the Ponte del Diavolo, Corso Paolino d'Aquileia, Piazza Duomo, Corso Mazzini, Via Ristori, Piazza Diaz and Piazza Dante.
Marquardo von Randeck enters Cividale from Porta San Pietro accompanied by the Major Ministries on horseback, continuing along Via Silvio Pellico, Piazza Foro Giulio Cesare, Largo Boiani and Piazza Duomo.
The patriarchal procession arrives in Piazza Duomo, the awaited ceremonial begins:the city waita secures the square, the portals of the four historic gates are called to the center of the city;
- Marquardo von Randeck dominates the square from the bishop's seat;
- the free nobles and the castellans of Cividale pay homage to the Patriarch with precious gifts;
- the farmer population delivers the canipa as a sign of loyalty;
- the Prince of the Fatherland decrees the reinvestment of some feuds;
- the master of arms leads a polite tenzon;
- the Major Ministries on horseback lead the Patriarch Marquardo von Randeck to the investiture of the temporality of his Church;
- Marquardo von Randeck receives the swordfish as a sign of temporal power;
- the whole community solemnly swears loyalty to the Patriarch
from 2.00 pm
in Piazza Duomo
Medieval animations in honor of investitures:
Live medieval music during the afternoon with the Cencia Timp group
Demonstrations of medieval archery (test shots for children) by the Forojuliense Historical Group
- The white weapons of the golden age (exhibition) and demonstration of ancient fencing by the Compagnia de 'Malipiero
- Giullarate and oddities of fire with the Gallistriones
- closing procession with the historical groups of Cividale
- Rolls of the Cividale del Friuli War Drums
in Palazzo De Nordis
screening of the film Un Frêt Invier by Gianluca Fioritto